[rescue] Dictionary overflow?

Jerry Kemp sun.mail.list47 at oryx.cc
Wed Jun 15 17:53:46 CDT 2011

I had always done a boot -ar from the OK prompt, then answer the
prompts, but from (IMHO) the odd reply from the web page you came up
with, I went ahead and did a Yahoo search just to make sure I wasn't
going crazy.

The other obvious rebuild option I should have remembered was to use
devfsadm, as documented here.

http://spiralbound.net/blog/2005/12/21/rebuilding-the-solaris-device-tree

The more peripherals you have hanging off of your system, the bigger
your /etc/path_to_inst file will be.

I don't want to come across as some type of authority on path_to_inst
files here.  I have been administering Solaris systems since 1995, and
have probably rebuilt the path_to_inst file half-a-dozen times.  If that
is truly your problem, I don't think that you are in that bad of shape.
 I can't say that I have ever had to recover a path_to_inst file from
backup.

---

With all that out of the way, I truly hope that your problem is
something as simple as just a corrupted path_to_inst file.  As stated
earlier, I don't recall ever encountering a dictionary overflow error,
and I hope that the web page you uncovered was correct in
troubleshooting your issue.

Jerry