[rescue] Lightening the load

James Birdsall jwb-tech at picarefy.com
Tue Jul 19 00:47:22 CDT 2011

I have dozens of machines that I've been hauling around for years, some
of them more than a decade. I don't think of them as being that old -- I
remember when they came out, or at least when they were still on the
price sheet -- but it's time to admit that many of them are 20+ years
old. The ones that still work, and I bet that at least some of them
still do, are just as capable as they were, but expectations have risen
around them.

So, assuming I ever get the time to work on them, which seems like a big
if when some of them have been untouched for ten years, I'm left with
the question: what then? I'm still doing some hosting at home, but
that's another archaism: the fastest outbound connection I can get is
slower than the average consumer inbound connection. It's fine for old
text-based stuff, but isn't really sufficient for anything else. I
should just rent a server in a datacenter somewhere. And outside of
hosting, I really don't have anything that these machines could do which
would justify the power, noise, and heat load of running them. It's time
for them to go to somebody who has the time to play with them, if
nothing else.

I'm starting with my 680x0-based machines, which is especially painful
because that includes the Sun 3/60, my first love. I may still end up
keeping one of them, but the rest should go. I have Sun 3 pizza boxes,
VME cards and cages, a pile of HP 9000/3xx machines and parts, plus a
couple Mac IIci and parts and some MVME68K stuff. What I don't really
have is time: I may be able to catalog it some weekend, but I don't know
about shipping it. I sure don't have time to see what works and doesn't.
If things go really sour, I might be stuck just cramming it all in a
truck and taking it down to RePC for recycling.

Is there anybody in the Seattle area who would be interested in taking
this stuff?