[rescue] V240 CPU fans

Mark G Thomas Mark at Misty.com
Fri Jul 8 12:08:45 CDT 2011

Hi,

On Sat, Jul 02, 2011 at 06:43:37PM -0600, Barry Keeney wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Jul 2011, Joshua Boyd wrote:
>
> >I have a V240 that says a fan failed:
> >MB/P1/F0             RS              failed (0 rpm)
> >
> >Has anyone dealt with this before?  From the looks of it on ebay, a
> >complete new heatsink unit with two new fans on it is about $40-60.  My
> >theory is that is likely easier than replacing just the single fan, plus
> >the other one may be over-worked now since I don't know how long it has
> >been carrying the load of two.
> >
> >Is this a fairly easy clip on operation, or is it likely to turn out to
> >be involved with torque wrenches and spreading thermal paste, just so.
> >If the later, I might be tempted to just replace the machine, since the
> >replacement unit is already a significant fraction of the cost of just
> >replacing the machine.
>
>   To replace the heatsink and fans, pretty easy. The replacement kit has
> everything needed.
>
>   Replacing a single fan can be hard with the heat sink still attached to
> the CPU. If I remember correctly the fans on one of the CPU's is next
> to impossible while attached to the CPU/motherboard. Once removed the
> fans themselves are easy to remove, if you can find a replacement fan.

I didn't find replacing the fans without removing the heatsinks
to be nearly that difficult, it just required some care in removing
the screws. I used a funny little right-angle screwdriver. Depending
which fan that is, it might be easier than replacing the whole assembly.
Some of the fan screws are easier to reach than others.

Mark

--
Mark G. Thomas (Mark at Misty.com)
Web: http://mgtinternet.com/