[rescue] V240 CPU fans

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Sat Jul 2 19:08:43 CDT 2011

I have a V240 that says a fan failed:
MB/P1/F0             RS              failed (0 rpm)

Has anyone dealt with this before?  From the looks of it on ebay, a
complete new heatsink unit with two new fans on it is about $40-60.  My
theory is that is likely easier than replacing just the single fan, plus
the other one may be over-worked now since I don't know how long it has
been carrying the load of two.

Is this a fairly easy clip on operation, or is it likely to turn out to
be involved with torque wrenches and spreading thermal paste, just so.
If the later, I might be tempted to just replace the machine, since the
replacement unit is already a significant fraction of the cost of just
replacing the machine.