[rescue] Solaris ZFS questions

Zachary Giles zgiles at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 16:29:10 CST 2011

So it's a verification of all the checksums etc which means you might find
an error sooner rather than later if your checksums dont match (and it will
fix it if it can). But, I also thought that one of the nice features of ZFS
is that it does continuous checksumming.

>From Wikipedia (not the best source..but it's ok):
"ZFS uses a copy-on-write transactional object model. All block pointers
within the filesystem contain a 32-bit checksum or 256-bit hash [shortened]
of the target block which is verified when the block is read."

Sounds like If you access a file, it checks the sum. Looks like the only
reason to do a scrub is to find out sooner. If there are errors, it will fix
them if it's a scrub or a read, and probably report neither if it's
correctable. Is that right?

Didnt mean to hijack the thread.. but it is about ZFS.. sorry I it's a
problem... Just looking to understand a little better.