[rescue] Solaris ZFS questions

John Lengeling John.Lengeling at radisys.com
Wed Jan 12 14:20:16 CST 2011

I have a degraded zfs pool reporting permanent errors under Solaris 10.
I was going to backup the existing data, destroy/create the pool and
then restore the data.  I have a couple of questions.

1. I believe that the degraded drive had a read-error.  When I take this
drive out of the pool, how can I verify that I can read/write all
sectors?

2. I tried to back up the data on the pool using GnuTAR with the
--ignore-failed-read and GnuTar still errored/exited out and didn't just
skip the file and continue writing.   How can I get around this as I
thought that the ignore failed read would just skip the file and
continue on.

3. Does ZFS automatically perform a periodic read/verify scan over the
entire pool or does this need to be enabled?

johnl