[rescue] test

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Fri Jan 7 09:54:09 CST 2011

On Friday, January 07, 2011, Bill Bradford wrote:
> Comcast basically configures their box as a straight bridge and hands
> me a list of IPs and an Ethernet port, which is what I wanted.  I
> run my own DNS and everything else, all I want is
> transit/connectivity.

Technically, it's not a bridge, it's a router.  I talkes RIP back to
comcast, and gets (I believe) a dynamic IP on the cable side, and routes
you your /29 or so subnet (depending on how many static IPs you
request).  If you get "dynamic" service, you don't get access to your
public IP unless you bitch, and then they'll bring out a regular cable
modem to hook up.

In any case, they don't support anything other than their own equipment
on your line, and try very hard to keep you from getting access to a
bunch of features that the equipment supports, but comcast disables.

The comcast admin password used to be available for these things,
allowing you to do things like reset it when it wedged, etc, but last
year they changed the way they internally deal with the password, so
that techs don't actually get the password anymore, so it's not likely
to be leaked. :(

At some point, I may spend some time poking at mine via its console port
- and I've got another of the same model that I picked up at a hamfest
to poke at as well.

Pat