[rescue] Happy New Year! RIP, Sun/Solaris...

James C james at frantech.ca
Thu Jan 6 13:56:05 CST 2011

On 01/06/2011 09:14 AM, Joshua Boyd wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 05, 2011 at 11:48:50AM -0500, Sandwich Maker wrote:
>> if linux had lkm like solaris, you could just unload/reload the
>> offending driver...  i've almost got it down to a script for
>> /dev/audio, except fuser won't show processes using it, which have to
>> be killed before it will unload.
> In theory, you can unload/reload the offending module in linux.  In
> practice, when it works correctly at all, it only works up until
> something goes wrong, then you are often hosed until you reboot.
>
> I haven't tried unloading/reloading CIFS though.

lsof is also your friend trying to find who's using /dev/audio. Also
check /dev/dsp. A fair few modern systems don't have either, as they're
OSS and most are moving on from ALSA to PulseAudio already. It also
might be in use by another module. Check lsmod | grep oss ? Push comes
to shove (and it's fairly risky/may cause instability) you can force
remove the module with rmmod -f.

--
James C.<james[at]frantech.ca>
Frantech Solutions | (937) 839 2253