[rescue] Happy New Year! RIP, Sun/Solaris...

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Wed Jan 5 10:48:50 CST 2011

" From: Joshua Boyd <jdboyd at jdboyd.net>
"
" []
"
" When I have trouble with either USB or CIFS, the rest of the machine is
" fully usable, so I can potentially put off a reboot for awhile, but I
" must do it eventually if I want to use either service again.
"
" THAT makes me with that USB and CIFS were userland services.  Of course,
" that would potentially cause a performance hit.  As it stands, I believe
" you would have both multiple data copies and multiple context switches.
" In theory, something could probably be done to make going between two
" userland processes like that zero copy, but I don't know how you would
" get around the context switches.

if linux had lkm like solaris, you could just unload/reload the
offending driver...  i've almost got it down to a script for
/dev/audio, except fuser won't show processes using it, which have to
be killed before it will unload.