[rescue] Happy New Year! RIP, Sun/Solaris...

gsm at mendelson.com gsm at mendelson.com
Wed Jan 5 05:07:18 CST 2011

On Wed, Jan 05, 2011 at 12:54:30AM -0500, Patrick Finnegan wrote:
>Geoff, have you tried this with more than one type of USB external disk
>(and more than one controller chipset)?  Some USB device chipsets suck
>pretty badly.. I wouldn't be surprised if the kernel was hammering the
>device with requests, causing the problem.

I've tried this on about 10 different devices, USB chipsets, Linux distros
and kernel versions, etc.

It's simply not a choice. If anyone wants to send me systems with SATA ports,
internal large SATA disks, or even SATA PCI controllers, feel free to. At this
point I have to make do with donated (read abandoned) systems, and
office supply store (when they are on sale) disks.

This limits me to single core CPUs, 512m DDR RAM, IDE internal and USB external
disks.

Considering in the last day or so the dollar just took a 10% dive in relation
to the shequel, everything imported is about to go up again. :-(

Geoff.
--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to misquote it.