[rescue] Happy New Year! RIP, Sun/Solaris...

gsm at mendelson.com gsm at mendelson.com
Tue Jan 4 20:19:42 CST 2011

On Tue, Jan 04, 2011 at 05:20:41PM -0500, Phil Stracchino wrote:
>On the other hand, I haven't tried to run an nfsd on Linux in long
>enough that I don't know whether it at least sucks less yet, and word is
>ZFS is coming to Linux, as well as btrfs promising much of the same
>functionality.

The kernel NFS server crashes and cause random disconnects of USB disks,
so in effect if you want to keep your data, you can not NFS share a USB disk.

The user space NFS server works without crashing, but does not support directory
searching, file locking and sharing properly, so you can't use it as a
source or target for rsync and I have directories randomly "dissapear"
to the clients until the user which used files in them logs off.

Extremely annoying if it is your downloads directory. :-(

It's a matter of money, here big USB disks (with SATA drives in them) are a
commodity item and the various stores have dueling sales over them. Internal
drives bigger than 500g are specialty items and there are no sales or discounts.

It's actually cheaper to buy a Verbatim USB disk (with a Samsung "Green") drive
in it on sale in an office supply store, than it is to buy the bare drive in a
computer store. The same with WD.

As for just putting them inside, there are enoughold computers without
sata ports that make it worth it to use them externaly. USB port cards
are common and cheap, SATA port cards are special order items and hard
to find.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to misquote it.