[rescue] Happy New Year! RIP, Sun/Solaris...

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Tue Jan 4 06:24:34 CST 2011

On 01/03/11 04:26, Jochen Kunz wrote:
> Well. I am useing Unix for close to 20 years now. I saw Linux rising.
> It evolved from a Unix clone for Unix enthusiasts to a bad Windows
> surrogate for Windows haters.

Yeah.  I still say Ubuntu is the Linux distribution for people who would
secretly much rather be running Windows.

> Linux got "polluted" by lots of eye candy
> stuff, even on the command line. The usual Linux distribution shoves
> all this stuff down the users throat, even if he doesn't want it.
> (vi is vim, /bin/sh is bash, "rm" is aliased to "rm -i", ...)

Those training-wheels default aliases irritate me.  But at least they
made'em aliases that can be removed, instead of hardcoding them as defaults.

> The *BSDs, especially NetBSD, concentrate on a lean and mean Unix
> environement and try to carry on the Unix paradigm. That is the reason
> why they don't add "user-friendliness" to the base system:

I'm not really talking about being "user friendly".  Just, say, using
up-to-date versions of coreutils.

> Instead you get the tools to bild what you want. E.g. An emacs
> user doesn't need vim, but most linux distributions install vim anyway.
> *BSD come with nvi, as a Unix has to have a vi(1). If you want vim, or
> emacs, well just install it. pkgsrc will do for you.

Exactly.  This is why I use Gentoo on my Linux machines:  I get to
install exactly what I want, configured how I want it, and I don't have
to take anything else along with it that I don't want.

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.