[rescue] Happy New Year! RIP, Sun/Solaris...

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Mon Jan 3 23:49:40 CST 2011

On Sun, Jan 02, 2011 at 02:29:51PM -0500, Jonathan J. M. Katz wrote:
> This is going to dissolve quickly, but frankly I like a primitive
> userspace. With less stuff, there is less stuff to break, and the
> system will only have the components you want.

This is how I used to prefer my systems; I'd do a basic Solaris install
with developer stuff, then build what I needed from source.

I have to admit, when I set up the "new" ohno.mrbill.net with Debian,
it was nice to just be able to do apt-get and grab what I needed, with
dependencies, without fighting to get everything build and work properly.
It did mean that I had to re-do my config on some things (apache,
mailman, etc) to work with the way the packaged versions are set up - but
this also means easier upgrades in the future.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford
Houston, Texas