[rescue] Happy New Year! RIP, Sun/Solaris...

Steve Sandau ssandau at gwi.net
Mon Jan 3 05:39:49 CST 2011

Bill Bradford wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 03, 2011 at 12:40:36AM -0500, Patrick Finnegan wrote:
>> For a counterpoint, I generally use (and prefer) Linux w/iptables for
>> NAT "firewall" functionality.
>
> I'm STILL really liking my Alix 2C3 board w/pfSense.

pfSense is BSD-based, right? That's a nice package. I set that up for a
cafe's wireless access three years or so ago. As I recall there was an
easy way to password-protect Internet access with it. I set it up to
change the config file each night so the proxy password was different
each day.

I think that was a live CD distribution that would pretty easily install
to a hard drive (which I did). I remember that it was pretty
straightforward to configure.

I have done VPN tunnels with OBSD and found they worked really well. I
did have trouble with the ISAKMP daemon (or some part of that) not being
reliable enough, but when I just used hardcoded keys it was great.

In any case, I find pf easier to deal with and remember than iptables.

Steve