[rescue] Happy New Year! RIP, Sun/Solaris...

James C james at frantech.ca
Mon Jan 3 00:32:23 CST 2011

On 01/02/2011 09:40 PM, Patrick Finnegan wrote:
> For a counterpoint, I generally use (and prefer) Linux w/iptables for
> NAT "firewall" functionality.
>
> I used to do that at home, but currently I'm running NAT on my Cat 6509
> w/Sup2&  MSCF-2/PFC-2, which has some GRE tunnels with routing magic to
> help me talk to stuff at work, and WCCP to talk to squid on a Linux box.
>
> For the stuff I have at home that sits on a public address, I use
> iptables on the box itself, and 802.1Q tagged vlans to separate
> networks.
>
> Pat

Vyatta is a great distro for Linux firewalls/routers. Our edge router at
work handles around 600Mbit average traffic and the box hardly flinches
at it - only tweak we've had to implement is using the NAPI e1000
driver, instead of the stock Linux driver. The Vyatta config shell makes
setting up GRE tunnels and NAT very very easy though. Pretty neat stuff :)

--
James C.<james[at]frantech.ca>
Frantech Solutions | (937) 839 2253