[rescue] Happy New Year! RIP, Sun/Solaris...

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Sun Jan 2 13:22:21 CST 2011

On 01/02/11 13:43, Scott Quinn wrote:
> As far as other OSes I'm becoming more and more a proponent of the xBSDs.
> There seems to be much less "rattling of the apple cart" from there than Linux
> has. Sadly you do need to know your text consoles to use it, and (except for
> the efforts to get ZFS on BSD) the filesystems aren't as advanced.

Frankly, the entire *BSD userspace is a bit on the primitive side.  What
I don't understand about this is that the true *BSD zealots (of which
there fortunately seem to be none on the list that I am aware of) appear
to regard it as a point of pride.

"Diff, patch, and vi are effete.  When I were a lad, we patched our
kernel code with ed, and we LIKED it!"

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.