[rescue] Happy New Year! RIP, Sun/Solaris...

Magnus magnus at yonderway.com
Sun Jan 2 12:14:53 CST 2011

On Dec 31, 2010, at 8:23 PM, Harold Berninghausen wrote:

> So, now that one needs a service contract to even download Solaris or
> patches, what is the modest Sun enduser to do? What flavor of Linux (with a
> GUI!) will handle fibre channel?

Assuming you mean for SAN storage, I've got both SLES and RHEL machines
running on an enterprise SAN quite happily. Both environments have nice modern
GUI's available if that's what floats your boat.

If you want a free flavor of Linux that is SAN friendly, check out CentOS.

I think Debian & Ubuntu should probably be fine, also, but I don't have direct
experience with those on the SAN. The upshot, though, is that Debian runs fine
on Sun hardware.