[rescue] Migration of Solaris 10 u9 from sun4u/zfs to sun4v/zfs

J. Alexander Jacocks jjacocks at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 17:29:57 CST 2011

Has anyone successfully migrated a ZFS-hosted Solaris 10 sparc host
from one arch (sun4u) to another (sun4v)?  I have found all kinds of
docs on how to do it, if your source is UFS-rooted, but nothing, if
you're ZFS-rooted.  This seems like a _huge_ oversight, to me, but I
lost my faith in Oracle, a long time ago.

I've tried:
1) root pool regeneration from "zfs send -r" snapshot backups
2) flar/jumpstart (add sun4v arch to flar, when creating)
3) liveupgrade
4) ldomp2v tool

None of these have been successful.  The closest that I have gotten
was by doing a ZFS root pool restore, on the new host, and then
manually installing the ".v" versions of all of the missing packages.
That got the system booting, but there were a _lot_ of broken
libraries.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
- Alex