[rescue] AT&T 3B2

Steve Hatle shatle at nfldinet.com
Sun Dec 4 21:52:59 CST 2011

On 12/4/11 4:04 AM, "Robert Novak" wrote:

> I have a 3B1 in storage, with the box of documentation and 5.25" floppies I
> think... unless I gave it away earlier this year. Almost completely, but
> not entirely, unlike the 3B2 :)

Yeah - the 3B1s had their own set of peculiarities. And that's putting it
mildly.

The 3B2/600 I had was from a job I held for a retail chain. The 600 was the
back end box at headquarters. The stores had 3B1s, usually with a terminal
or two hanging off them for point-of-sale. All data communication was via
modem with UUCP.

While I came in at the end of that era (we got a StarServerE and a bunch of
AT&T 386 workstations) I learned a ton from the 3B machines. I do not,
however, want to go back to the days of 9600 modems and
Systems/Devices/Dialers files :-)

Steve