[rescue] Sun Ultra 40 M2 EATX-SSI Power Supply?

Aaron Finley aaronfinley at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 10:00:13 CST 2011

I recently outgrew my existing storage at home and have been
researching a NAS setup. The Sun Ultra 40 M2 looks exceptionally nice
for this purpose with its eight internal hot swap drive bays, well
designed chassis, extremely quiet operation and 1000W power supply. I
have seen 3TB drives as low as $95, so a 24TB ZFS pool could be had
for around $1100 (amazing!). Unfortunately, as I would like to
potentially use the system for more than just storage, the motherboard
and dual-core CPUs are rather dated. I know that the motherboard is
Sun custom and uses what appears to be a non-standard foot print with
edge connectors, but from the pictures it appears the plugs might
actually be standard ATX-SSI. In all photos the P1 (24-pin?) connector
is not visible. Can someone that owns a 40 or 40M2 check and see if
the plugs from the power supply are standard or Sun-specific? This
would be a great case with a new 5400 motherboard swapped in. I am
reasonably competent with a soldering iron but would prefer to avoid
such modification if possible.