[rescue] Sun Sparcstation 20 hard disks

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Thu Aug 25 16:06:17 CDT 2011

On 08/25/11 16:25, Mouse wrote:
>>> Though seriously, I consider it within the bounds of possibility
>>> that, assuming we do not suffer a civilization crash, by the time my
>>> physical body's ability to sustain me is exhausted, we will have the
>>> capability to opt for upload into zettabyte space.
>> what bothers me about that is, it's like email - only a -copy- of the
>> -original-, which still dies.
>
> In a sense.  But in some sense, we're all dying all the time.
>
> It's continuity of sense-of-self, which mostly means continuity of
> memory, that I care about.  If my mind can be moved to a silicon
> substrate, I wouldn't care about the meat substrate I left behind any
> more than I care about the way my current body's cells keep dying all
> the time now.

See, that's the thing.  BACKWARD continuity is easy.  It's relatively
easy for the hardware-housed me-consciousness instance to wake up with
all the memories and experiences of the wetware me-consciousness instance.

What's hard is forward continuity - for the me-consciousness instance
that is present in the wetware to go to sleep and wake up in the hardware.

To look at it another way, copying is easy; moving is hard.

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.