[rescue] Sun Sparcstation 20 hard disks

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Thu Aug 25 14:25:10 CDT 2011

" From: Phil Stracchino <alaric at metrocast.net>
"
" On 08/25/11 11:49, Lex Landa wrote:
" > On Thu, 2011-08-25 at 09:13 -0400, Mouse wrote:
" >
" >> I dunno.  Unless I change in some very fundamental way (move my mind to
" >> silicon instead of protein maybe, if that becomes possible in time), I
" >> don't expect to want to live forever.
" >
" > []
" >
" > Maybe that will be the next phase of computer history: preservation of
" > the computer history enthusiast, the computer, and all media relating to
" > the history of all of the above.
"
"
" I'd prefer to think in terms of upload into a Culture Mind, myself.  ;)
"
" Though seriously, I consider it within the bounds of possibility that,
" assuming we do not suffer a civilization crash, by the time my physical
" body's ability to sustain me is exhausted, we will have the capability
" to opt for upload into zettabyte space.

what bothers me about that is, it's like email - only a -copy- of the
-original-, which still dies.  the fate of me - the original - isn't
changed just b/c the -copy- lives forever.  nor does it matter if 3rd
parties can't tell the difference between us - i can.

now, organic anti-aging research...  i've heard anecdotally that if
you could maintain the health one normally enjoys at age 10, you could
live to be 1000.

i don't want to achieve immortality through my work, i want to achieve
immortality by not dying
	- woody allen