[rescue] Sun Sparcstation 20 hard disks

gsm at mendelson.com gsm at mendelson.com
Thu Aug 25 06:58:23 CDT 2011

On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 07:37:33AM -0400, Carl R. Friend wrote:

>   Spending some coin on a modern disk for the SS20 will not of
>necessity be a waste -- even if the SS20 blows an unobtanium chip
>the disk can be used in something else quite handily and the dead
>SS20 used as a donor system for another SS20.

Eventually the supply of SS20's will dry up completely and there won't be
any more to put those donor parts in :-(

In a much more accelerated situation I'm attempting to locate a working
286/386 laptop at about 16mHz, faster/slower is ok, or a turbo/slow switch
to bring it up or down.

All of the people I know that collect computers, save ones found in the trash,
take donations for the "great uncomputered", etc, have long since refurbished
and given away or trashed/recyled all that they had.

Eventually that will happen with SS20s.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
Making your enemy reliant on software you support is the best revenge.