[rescue] Sun Sparcstation 20 hard disks

Steve Sandau ssandau at gwi.net
Thu Aug 25 05:53:25 CDT 2011

Simon Fryer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Hmmm. Troll bait!
>
> Anyway... There are some electronics, working happily since the
> 1970's, speeding their way out of the solar system. I guess there are
> no moving parts.
>
> While I don't think the SS20 is really of the same hardware grade as
> the average satellite, as far as hardware goes, the SS20 is pretty
> good.
>
> And besides, I think the systems in question need replacement HDD
> that are quiet and cooler than the original disks. Plus it helps when
> the amount of HDD connected to a machine is greater than a cheap USB
> memory stick.
>
> For *real* work, I guess you could buy a xGHz machine, with y
> processors and z GB of memory.. Which really, would only give you more
> wrong answers sooner.
>
> On 25 August 2011 15:42, leaknoil <leaknoil at charter.net> wrote:
>> Personally I think you're an idiot but, that's just me. Yes there are that
>> many parts in a SS20. Any one can fail. They were introduced in 1994. How
>> old were you then ?  I thought so.
>>
>> Anyway, my point was why worry about buying new hard drives when you have
>> working ones any anything else could go as well.  You should not be using a
>> ss20 for anything important. Of course, there are people that have no
>> choice. Pretty sure you aren't one.

Considering that the hard drives are the most likely component to fail,
it might actually make sense to buy new ones. Of the several SSxx
machines I have had, I think the only thing that ever went bad was a
hard drive, maybe one power supply.

In any case it certainly makes sense to spend a little more for tested
drives if you want to use it for anything other than an instrument of
frustration.

Steve