[rescue] Drivers for SunPCi Card

Lex Landa brooknet at imap.cc
Fri Aug 12 07:00:41 CDT 2011

Hello Jonathan, and thanks for your reply.

On Thu, 2011-08-11 at 21:19 -0500, Jonathan Patschke wrote:

> You'll be able to run SunPC card (486-class) but a SunPCi requires PCI
> slots, not sbus.  I used to have one, but I'd have no idea where to look
> for it.

I was a little confused by that lowercase 'i' in 'SunPCi', and I figured
that since the older product was called 'SunPC', that it didn't refer to
the slot type - but it does.

> I miss the 4/x30 systems.  A 4/330 was my first Sun workstation.

Mine arrived courtesy of a relative, who got it from a college where it
was in use as a mailserver for many years.  In spite of its lack of
speed and memory, I still find it useful and often use it as a testbed
for various network-based experiments.  NetBSD runs very well on it and
uses both CPUs, whereas the standard Solaris 2.5.1/SunOS 5.5 uses one
CPU, but has sound (can't beat that old ISDN audio!).

I won't tell my old story about spider infestation again, as I'll
probably be told off for repeating myself - but suffice it to say that
the PSU expired and when I replaced it with a cheap ATX PSU, the RAM on
the cgthree card broke, and it now doesn't produce a picture.

> For a while it was both my workstation and my chair.

Ouch!

> I have maybe 100 cg6-compatible cards here (GX, GX+, TGX, TGX+) in a big
> box on my workbench.

100!

>   If you'd like one for the cost[0] of shipping,
> please send me your physical address (and card revision, if you care) in a
> private email.  I may or may-not have a bw2 card around here somewhere,
> but I'd have to hunt for it.

That's very generous of you!  I'll contact you privately - but I should
perhaps warn you that I'm in England and I'll need to pay you a little
more for shipping.  I really wish I could just hop over to the US and
pick this up [makes a note to check cheap flight prices] as there is so
much cheap hardware available in the US, and prices over here are pretty
exorbitant.

Lex