[rescue] Wanted: Solaris ISOs, etc (for the SunHELP archive)

David Muran-de Assereto dmuran at tuad.org
Mon Aug 8 14:01:35 CDT 2011

On Aug 8, 2011, at 13:20 , Jonathan J. M. Katz wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 1:11 PM, Nemo <cym224 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Did they make a TS 9 or 10?
>>
>> From what I remember, TS was discontinued and the stuff -- technical
>> term, that -- became security extensions to Solaris.
>
> I should know this, but there are cobwebs where that knowledge used to
> be. The trusted extensions (access control, etc) are built into 10, so
> there was no need for a separate "trusted" release. There was "big
> internal debate" as to whether or not to port the extensions from 8 to
> 9 and I don't think they did, because they wanted to focus all those
> resources on making 10 the pinnacle of engineering. 9 had RBAC,
> projects(?), and a lot of the goodies that were in TS8.
>
> Are the Blueprints documents still available? Those would be worth
> archiving if they could be found.

There was never a TSol9. The original implementation of Trusted Solaris on
Solaris 10
was a set of add on packages called "Trusted Extensions". A couple of years
ago, they
integrated the Extensions into the base Solaris distributions. In my
community,
any Solaris 10 installation with Trusted Extensions activated is referred to
as
Solaris 10/TX. I may have one of the earlier Solaris 10 Trusted Extensions
package sets around here as well as the TSol8.
I also have the SunScreen disk that came with TS8 and the complete doc set as
PDFs.

Dave