[rescue] v240 OS choices

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Mon Aug 1 10:34:23 CDT 2011

On Thu, 28 Jul 2011 16:54:02 -0400
Mark Kahrs <mark.kahrs at gmail.com> wrote:

> I also obtained a relatively cheap v240 off epay.
[...]
> - netbsd (I run this on other boxes, but doesn't have UltraSPARC support)
Pardon? NetBSD has UltraSPARC support for ages. Though, US III support
is relatively new. Best would be to run a NetBSD-current snapshot on a
V240. At least that's what I run on my V240...

p.s.: I have to admit, there is or was a nasty SMP bug that made US IIIi
machines crash under load. This affected only US IIIi, not US III
machines. Work around is / was to disable all but cpu0 upon bootup via
cpuctl(8). I don't know if this was fixed in the meantime. At the
moment I prefere to play with my VAXen and PDP-11s... So I am not up to
date regarding NetBSD/sparc64.
--

\end{Jochen}

\ref{http://www.unixag-kl.fh-kl.de/~jkunz/}