[rescue] Solaris 9/10 is out

Jerry Kemp sun.mail.list47 at oryx.cc
Sun Sep 12 23:14:47 CDT 2010

Ha, I can only dream.....

I can't tell you the number of businesses I have worked in running
Solaris with bare bones, minimal installs.  All in the name of security.
  And this is in addition to the multiple DMZ's, cascading firewalls,
load balancers and proxies they are also behind.

I don't wish to discuss the merits of the minimal installations here,
and what those do, or don't do.

I will share that I have spent countless hours hunting down libraries
and other files "after the fact" once said systems have been in
place/production for a while, then some application support or DBA
person needs some file, library, language set, etc. to get their new or
upgraded application going again.

In my experience, the place I have seen "everything including the
kitchen sink" loaded has been in the linux arena.  I qualify this to
only my own personal linux observations, which are limited.  I have no
doubt that someone on the list who makes their living working with linux
can counter my comments within this paragraph and make similar comments
to my first (3) paragraphs.

I believe that I would agree with you on the current status of *BSD.  I
am not currently doing as much with *BSD as I used to.  But co workers
who are heavily into *BSD state similar comments.  *Many* years ago, I
worked for an ISP that ran everything on BSDI, and IMHO, BSDI was an
"everything but the kitchen sink" distribution.

Jerry