[rescue] Solaris 9/10 is out

David Muran-de Assereto dmuran at tuad.org
Sun Sep 12 01:13:51 CDT 2010

On Sep 11, 2010, at 15:20 , Phil Stracchino wrote:

> On 09/11/10 15:09, hike wrote:
>> Solaris is a System V Release 4 server product.
>> SVR4 has a "load everything" philosopy.
>> BSD, on the other hand, has a "load what you need" philosophy--no extra
>> stuff that isn't needed.
>>
>> There is a world of difference between SunOS 1.x (BSD) and SunOS 2.x
>> (SVR4/Solaris) or, as we said in the "old days" between SunOS and Solaris.
>>
>> You are asking for something that can't be accommodated easily and
requires
>> a drastic change of mindset/culture/etc.
>
> I'll bet given access to the source code, I could make the "pretend" and
auto-sort-dependencies changes to pkgrm in a couple of days.  I'm going to
sniff around and see if I can find the right person to pass a suggestion to.

You could do a wrapper script based on Glenn Brunette's SPC:
http://mediacast.sun.com/share/gbrunett/spc-v0.4.ksh

I can't find it anymore, but a Sun engineer buddy of mine pointed me at a tool
called pkgdep as well, It used to be in the Sun playground.
We did a lot of package analysis and recommendation minimizations at $work-1
using these scripts as a basis.

Dave

David Muran-de Assereto
dmuran at tuad.org
I'm going to write a C library called libtruncate.  Every time somebody needs
to truncate an array, they will feel obligated to use my library instead of
writing five lines of their own code to do the job.  And I will make
libtruncate depend on Gnome AND KDE.