[rescue] Solaris 9/10 is out

hike mh1272 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 11 14:09:16 CDT 2010

On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 2:59 PM, Phil Stracchino <alaric at metrocast.net>wrote:

> On 09/11/10 13:04, Jonathan Patschke wrote:
>
>> If the default install is broken, the OS is broken.  Why not, by default,
>> load the compressed package archives on to the system and let the end user
>> turn on/off features after the fact?  Fighting dependencies in suninstall
>> is something I've lost patience for -years- ago.
>>

> I'll entirely agree with the complaints about the Sun installer.  What I'd
> like to see is an installer that lets me pick from a list of tasks I want
> the system to perform, and then automatically resolves the package
> dependency list for those toplevel tasks.  For instance, if I pick "Java
> Application Server (Tomcat)", then I automatically get Tomcat, Apache and
> all their dependencies.
>
> I'd also like to see a couple of options added to pkgrm - a recursive
> option to automatically also remove all packages dependent upon a package,
> and a 'pretend' option. Using the two together should produce a report
> something like "Removing this package (SUNWfoor) would also remove the
> following packages:  SUNWfoou SUNWfoos SUNWbarr SUNWbaru SUNWbars
> SUNWbaz..."
>
> I've also thought for a long time that when supplied a list of packages to
> remove, pkgrm should auto-sort them and remove them in correct dependency
> order instead of bitching about dependencies between them. "Hey, this
> package is dependent upon ... Oh, wait, you told me to remove that one too.
>  Never mind."
>

> --
>  Phil Stracchino, CDK#2     DoD#299792458     ICBM: 43.5607, -71.355
>  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
>         Renaissance Man, Unix ronin, Perl hacker, Free Stater
>                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.

Solaris is a System V Release 4 server product.
SVR4 has a "load everything" philosopy.
BSD, on the other hand, has a "load what you need" philosophy--no extra
stuff that isn't needed.

There is a world of difference between SunOS 1.x (BSD) and SunOS 2.x
(SVR4/Solaris) or, as we said in the "old days" between SunOS and Solaris.

You are asking for something that can't be accommodated easily and requires
a drastic change of mindset/culture/etc.

I have always preferred SunOS but have worked with Solaris since the
mid-90's..