[rescue] Solaris 9/10 is out

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Fri Sep 10 01:09:02 CDT 2010

On 10 Sep 2010, at 03:23, Sridhar Ayengar wrote:

> Jonathan Patschke wrote:
>> On Thu, 9 Sep 2010, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
>>
>>> But I read the license agreement and S10U8 looks to be the last version
>>> of Solaris I will be running.
>>
>> You don't want it, anyhow.
>>
>> I did an uncustomized install to a ZFS root, booted the system to the
>> GUI, and ran 'smc'. The machine was using 1,481,504KB physmem and
>> 554,756KB swap.
>>
>> Thanks for trying, Oracle, but I'll stick with BSD.
>
> I don't have much experience with later Solaris so bear with me when I ask,
how much worse is that than previous Solaris 10 builds?

I can only speak definitely for the SPARC build, but I've had a similar
uncustomized full install of 10/06 boot up to use 500MB approx. of RAM, and
that was while running Java Desktop and all the whistles. That might be
because it was the SPARC version though. I imagine the x86 and x64 versions
are less efficient, but I have still had similar installs work comfortably
inside 1GB of physical RAM on my wz1100 before.

--
Mark Benson

My Blog:
<http://markbenson.org/blog>