[rescue] Sun Ultra 20s on surpluscomputers.com

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Sat Sep 4 12:33:10 CDT 2010

On 09/04/10 01:38, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
> My understanding was that as long as you replaced the bad caps with ones
> of the same capacity or a little larger, it would then work fine.
>
> Sounds like a job for someone who can order a batch of caps from
> $favorite_electronics_wholesaler and who also knows how to use a
> soldering iron.  I bet after a few sacrificed boards, you could get it
> down to 5-10 minutes per system, after which it should run for years
> without incident.

It took me about an hour to replace the three bad caps on my machine's
eight-year-old ASUS motherboard (and all the other similar caps while I
was at it) with new same-capacity (but higher voltage rated) caps.  Most
of that was getting the old caps OFF.  Several of them proved extremely
difficult to desolder.

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.