[rescue] Sun Ultra 20s on surpluscomputers.com

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Sat Sep 4 00:38:29 CDT 2010

On 9/4/2010 12:19 AM, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> My "group" has about 200+ GX270s in daily use around the public
> school district, as they die they are replaced with other GX270s in
> storage until they also die. We may run Win7 on them with 2 Gigs of
> RAM (they'll take up to 4 Gigs, and they have a (one) SATA port on
> the MB), and the onboard graphics will support Aero. The caps still
> blow-up, but until they do, these are solid workhorse computers.

My understanding was that as long as you replaced the bad caps with ones
of the same capacity or a little larger, it would then work fine.

Sounds like a job for someone who can order a batch of caps from
$favorite_electronics_wholesaler and who also knows how to use a
soldering iron.  I bet after a few sacrificed boards, you could get it
down to 5-10 minutes per system, after which it should run for years
without incident.

At least that is how one of my clients (who only had a few) fixed the issue.

--Patrick