[rescue] Sun Ultra 20s on surpluscomputers.com

Francois Dion francois.dion at gmail.com
Fri Sep 3 20:53:51 CDT 2010

On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 5:23 PM, Richard <legalize at xmission.com> wrote:
> In article <AANLkTinWW+4dQCzZHjR32b8Hu0K-+LRmqob2N1yQNe4q at mail.gmail.com>,
>    Ian Finder <ian.finder at gmail.com>  writes:
>
>> > I base that price on single core Dell Optiplex GX270s selling for about
$12
> 9
>> > on the used market.
>> >

>> Jesus, really? My group is about to pitch about 30 of them because
>> we're fscking sick of them developing bad caps... We assumed they're
>> completely worthless.
>
> I work with a non-profit that recycles/refurbishes computers for
> non-profits and low income folks.  They were refurbing GX270s
> initially until they found that they all failed within a short time of
> being refurbed.  Now they're all on the recycle path.

If any 270 lasted this long, it more than likely doesn't have the bad
caps. We are talking about machines failing due to Nichicon (a really
good manufacturer, so really something unusual) caps from a specific
batch (2 runs to be precise), made 6 years ago. The last board with
these caps shipped over 5 years ago and most MBs were replaced under
warranty (they were failing within the year). The large number of
gx270 we got back then are still running, 24/7/365, i'm pretty
confident they dont have the faulty caps. You can contact Dell and
check with which motherboard serial # the bad batch ended.