[rescue] Two dollar Tuesday!

Skeezics Boondoggle skeezicsb at gmail.com
Fri Sep 3 13:22:59 CDT 2010

On Wed, 01 Sep 2010, Richard wrote:

>> 3.  Zenith ZT-1 VT52-compatible terminal with 80x25 composite green
>> video monitor.
>
> Never heard of this before (I am aware of H-9, H-19, H-29 terminals
> from Heathkit of which the H-29 became a Z-29 when Zenith bought
> Heathkit).  Got any pics?

Er, no, the box is already sealed up and off to be shipped.  Perhaps
the new owner will post a link when it arrives? :-)

It was an odd little bird, mostly designed it seems to offer easy
access to Compuserve (hence the VT52 compatibility, and the marketing
and user guide included in the box).  The terminal itself is sort of
C-64 shaped and sized - basically a heavy keyboard with an integrated
300-baud modem.  It has a parallel printer port, but no serial port;
as a kid that was fine for my needs, and the ZT-1 was a fraction of
the cost of a "real" terminal plus external modem.

While everyone else in my H.S. had to sign up for a few minutes on the
lone LA-120 at school, I spent many, many hours dialed in from home to
the '11 in Kalamazoo, writing goofy display hacks in BASIC-PLUS and
hacking RSTS/E... Good times.

-- Chris