[rescue] Wanted: Graphics card and drive sled for RS/6000 7046-B50

Andrew Warkentin andreww591 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 31 23:37:56 CDT 2010

Jonathan Patschke wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Mar 2010, Andrew Warkentin wrote:
>
>> Would a GXT2000P work? There's some on eBay for relatively cheap. It
>> works in the 43P-150, and it only takes up one slot, so I don't see any
>> reason why it wouldn't work in the 7046-B50 (unless there would be
>> problems with cooling, but I don't think that would be very likely).
>
> The only reason it wouldn't work would be if the firmware did a handshake
> in such a way that prevent it from being bound as the console.  Like I
> said, I threw all sorts of different graphics adapters in my 150 that
> weren't in the handbook.  Chances are good that it'll work just fine, but
> that IBM would not offer support on such a configuration (you don't
> care).

I've heard of people using Mac graphics cards in RS/6000s running Linux
(few, if any, would work with AIX, though, because most older RS/6000
graphics cards had custom IBM chips, although some did use third-party
chips). I think that the only requirement that RS/6000 firmware has is
that the card has an Open Firmware F-code ROM.