[rescue] In the Portland, OR area...

Rick Hamell hamellr at gmail.com
Thu Mar 25 21:45:35 CDT 2010

On 3/25/10 7:05 PM, Dan Sikorski wrote:
> On 3/25/2010 9:20 PM, William Enestvedt wrote:
>> Dang, Rick, that sounds like a gold mine of stuff. No wonder
>> Oregonians are
>> proud of the area!
>
> Yeah, I was thinking that I'd like to visit Portland now. Rick, if you
> need a job in the future, you might want to talk to the Portland tourism
> bureau. ;)

Actually I purposely didn't list all the REALLY cool stuff for fear that
you'll all move up here. :) Rest of the time it's VERY boring here. Come
visit, spend your money, leave. Don't complain about the rain or you're
liable to get smacked with a recycled shopping bag full of organic produce.

Jesting aside, I did have aspirations about running a tour company
through Portland and surrounding areas several years ago. But I then
found that were already two companies doing just that and neither was
doing very good business. That darn rain 8.56 months out of the year
puts a bit of a crimp in the tourism business.

For the record, if anyone is looking to move here, the IT Job Market is
in very bad shape. The 18-32 year old White Male demographic is 30%
unemployed, the States unofficial average is 17%. The only jobs open are
entry level phone support, or underpaid high level positions needing 10+
years of experience and Certifications in everything imaginable that
haven't quite been outsourced to India or Mexico yet. Once the economy
"recovers" it'll be 12-18 months before Portland's job market recovers
too, at least based on the .com bust.

--
Rick Hamell

Linkedin Profile - http://www.linkedin.com/pub/6/946/27
Technology Blog - http://www.1nova.com/blog
Pacific Northwest Photo Blog - http://www.1nova.com/photoblog
http://RickHamell.com
http://Hamell.Net

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type text/x-vcard which had a name of hamellr.vcf]