[rescue] Old school usenet

Mark G. Thomas Mark at Misty.com
Tue Mar 23 13:16:48 CDT 2010

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 01:42:19PM -0400, Tom Manos wrote:
> Also thanks for the follow-ups on the idea of a community based on some old
> school stuff, like usenet.
>
> If there is real interest, and others want to participate more seriously than
> just pointing a news reader at my INN server, I'm ready. I don't think I
> intended to say that this should be "by invite" only, just that it shouldn't
> be open to the huns. Not sure what the best method of accomplishing that would
> be.
>
> What I am interested in is a system that sort of enforces the old USENET
> Etiquette principles, aiming for near 100% information content and near 0%
> spam and other crap.
>
> Although I originally thought of the thing as mostly for technical groups, I'm
> not sure I still think that.
>
> Comments? How much interest is there, really?

There's already been an attempt at creating a more closely managed and
distributed newsgroup hierarchy. Seek out bofh.config as a place to start.
Sites who carry bofh.* are accountable, and leaks to non-bofh participating
sites are addressed. You might find at least part of what you are looking for
here.

Mark

--
Mark G. Thomas (Mark at Misty.com)