[rescue] Old school usenet

gsm at mendelson.com gsm at mendelson.com
Tue Mar 23 13:14:02 CDT 2010

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 10:58:19AM -0700, David Griffith wrote:

>A problem with eternal-september.org and most if not all of the other
>new old-school free usenet servers is that they're all in Europe.  If
>we could get some usenet servers set up in the US, that would be
>great.  On top of that, we could have our own private hierarchy as
>well.

IMHO having a server in a country that does not have a Disney Millennium
Copyright Act, and does have a right to privacy in their laws, is a much
better deal.

I'm not asking for, nor do I want a group with warez, keys, porn, etc. What
I want is a group where I can feel free discussing the existence of such
things, or techniques such as holding down the shift key when inserting
a CD into a Windows computer.

Is C news still around? We could all compile it on our systems, set up
SSL'ed UUCP links, and run our own USENET. :-)

Geoff.

New word I coined 12/13/09, "Sub-Wikipedia" adj, describing knowledge or
understanding, as in he has a sub-wikipedia understanding of the situation.
i.e possessing less facts or information than can be found in the Wikipedia.