[rescue] Wanted: 486 desktop

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Tue Mar 23 10:06:40 CDT 2010

On 03/23/10 10:47, Derrik Walker v2.0 wrote:
> On Monday, March 22, 2010, at 11:44PM, "der Mouse" <mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG> wrote:
>> You can still run that way today, if you choose to.  I do; with very
>> few exceptions (boot ROMs and embedded firmware are the only exceptions
>> that come to mind), I compiled everything I run myself, that being one
>> of the very few ways I can be certain I have the source to the code I'm
>> running.
>
> I do remember the days of compiling everything yourself.  I think I was a lot less productive back then ...

That.  I'd sooner have the grunt-work automated for me.  I used to
compile everything from source by hand, but I got tired of spending
sometimes literally days at a time chasing down vast multi-level
dependency trees to install a single relatively minor tool.  These days
I consider my time better spent doing more directly productive things.

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.