[rescue] DEC PDP-11/23 memory expansion

Scott M scott.m.16 at atsgate.com
Sun Jul 11 06:23:30 CDT 2010

I recently acquired a DEC PDP-11/23 in a VT103 chassis.
(Terminal + computer in a single package).
Nice computer, but a bit short on memory to run 2.11BSD Unix.
This page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PDP-11
says:
> PDP-11/23 - 2nd generation of LSI (F-11), early units only supported
> 248 KB memory, but could be modified for 4 MB support.
I cannot find details on this "modification" anywhere.
Does it involve removing the CPU board (M8186 KDF11-A), and replacing it
with another, or can the original be somehow modified for 22-bit operation?
Also what 4 MB memory board is recommended?
Thanks for your help.

Scott M.