[rescue] Solaris 10 Licence

Nemo cym224 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 10 22:03:46 CDT 2010

I tried to purchase Oracle Solaris (which grates on the nerves) but no
checkout until I agreed to the licence that granted only a 30-day
trial if no licence purchase.  (This part has been discussed in this
list.)

Unable to find a licence to purchase, I contacted Oracle Help.  Here
was the answer.

1> Thank you for your inquiry. Please note that the Solaris 10 media
does not have
1> associated licensing.  If you wish to obtain the media, you can
purchase the media
1> pack from the Oracle Store (http://shop.oracle.com) or you can
download the files
1> from http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/get.jsp.

I replied.

2> Thank you very much for your reply but I am now a little confused.
2>
2> When I went to the Oracle store to purchase Solaris 10 on DVD, I
was not allowed to
2> checkout until I agreed to the license condition.  Part of it read:
2>
2> "By ordering the Solaris software media pack on this Web site, you
agree that (1) you
2>  have already obtained a license from Oracle,[...]"
2>
2> It then goes on to say that I have 30 days without a license.

I received back the following.

3> Thank you for this additional information.  I will need to check in
with the Solaris
3> product team to get further answers for you that will hopefully
clear up the confusion.
3>
3> As soon as I have more information, I will let you know.  Thank you.

Shortly after that, I received the following.

4> The Solaris 10 license is bundled into the media pack (it is on a
component CD).  Therefore,
4> this license comes free with the media pack purchase.  While the
agreement text is a little
4> confusing, the moment you receive the media pack and open it, you
will no longer be
4> operating under trial terms.

So there we go.