[rescue] Oracle making just a little harder to keep old machines in use

der Mouse mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG
Wed Jul 7 07:13:17 CDT 2010

> Dump actually tries very hard to create output that's logically
> self-consistent.  I've run it on live filesystems for 25 years and
> have yet to come across an image that I can't restore.  Of course, I
> can hardly claim to have attempted every possible case, so perhaps
> there were some and I just didn't happen to try to use them.

See Elizabeth Zwicky's paper on torture-testing backup programs.  (I
actually expect rsk already knows about this, but much of the rest of
the list may not.)

>>> What I'll argue that we (FSVO "we") need is a portable version of
>>> dump that runs on the appropriate set of [OSes/FSes]
>> The problem of producing a portable dump format isn't trivial.
> Strongly agreed.

More strong agreement from me - especially since all the dump formats
I've seen are pretty wedded to basically Unixoid filesystem concepts.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML		mouse at rodents-montreal.org