[rescue] IBM 7026-6M1

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Wed Jan 27 21:21:06 CST 2010

Jonathan Patschke wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Jan 2010, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
>
>> Can anyone with RS/6000 experience comment on the 7026-6M1 with 8x
>> 750Mhz procs?
>
> Nice machines if you're running Oracle or applications with a more
> commercial instruction mix.  Scientific performance isn't great.
>
>> The one I see only have 8GB, is it easy (I mean cheap/inexpensive) to
>> upgrade to more?
>
> Ah, this is your first IBM system?

Well I am trying to decide if it is worth getting.  I don't know much
about the memory architecture of RS6K... I figure it runs Linux decently
given IBM's involvement, as well as AIX of course.

I am not going to buy support for it, it just needs to work.

If RAM is hideously expensive, it doesn't much matter how cheap the
system is ...

--Patrick