[rescue] Source for used UPS?

Dan Duncan danduncan at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 23:54:04 CST 2010

On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 9:54 AM, Scott Newell <newell at cei.net> wrote:
> I'd like to get a decent UPS.  Probably 1.5kVA or larger, 120V, single
> phase.  I'm ok with buying one with no batteries and getting batteries
> elsewhere, if I can save some bucks that way.  Is eBay my best option, or
> are there companies that specialize in affordable used battery backups?

I got a used UPS from a local guy I met at a ham fest who refurbs
them.  He buys "dead" ones, tests them, then replaces the batteries
which is usually what goes wrong with them and shipping batteries or
UPS units with batteries is pricy.  I asked him to keep an eye out for
one that met my specs (24V internal and would power up without AC for
use primarily as an inverter in a 24V truck, a Unimog 404 radio truck)
since he was already doing the legwork always looking for fixable ones
locally.  It only took a couple of weeks (and cost a lot less than a
comparable inverter) and came with a refurb warranty from a LOCAL
seller.  Just a thought.

--
Dan Duncan