[rescue] Seeking opinions: change my desktop machine?

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Wed Feb 24 13:45:43 CST 2010

On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 14:10:12 -0500
John Floren <slawmaster at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've been using Chrome as my browser lately, and I also run pidgin +
> emacs + xpdf + openoffice + drawterm + mgm on any given day. One
> reason I'm leaning toward the 2 processor system is because when
> Chrome or OO decide to get retarded (hey guys I'm gonna take 100% of
> cycles OK?) I can't do *anything* because my WM can't get a word in
> edgewise; I was hoping with 2 processors I'd get a little better
> response even when I'm doing something foolish like using Google Wave.
To my experience a dual CPU system will help in that situation. If one
process (one thread) runs amok eating all CPU it will leave the other
CPU for other tasks. A dual CPU machine increases interactive
responsiveness. (Modulo IO, memory consumtion, ...)

But, given how cheap PeeCee crap has become, why downgrade to the dual
1.2 GHz CPU? Even the cheapest new dual core CPU machine will run
circles around your current machines. If it is your main work horse it
is legitimate to spend a few $$ for it.

Maybe you can fit a used dual core CPU into the 1.8 GHz machine?
--

tsch|_,
       Jochen