[rescue] Looking to rescue a PC

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 20 09:10:10 CST 2010

On Feb 19, 2010, at 8:06 PM, Scott Newell <newell at cei.net> wrote:

> Servers worry me a bit; are the non-rackmount boxes noisy, and do
> they have parallel ports?

Non-rackmount servers "tend" to be quiet, designed for office areas,
not server rooms (typically)... Airflow is much easier to manage in a
tower case. Dell is the brand I know, I have laid hands on SC1600,
SC1425, SC400-series, and others, they were reasonably quiet - the
T605 dual-quad Opteron is loud. Get out of the room, you can still
hear it in the hallway loud - but mine will live in the basement.

The machine I wrote about is a precision D420 I think - it has AGP
graphics, which may be fine for your desired 2-D graphics. Also, it
takes only accomodates the thinnest of HDs internally, but it has a
couple 5 1/4" bays for normal height HDs.

Lionel