[rescue] Looking to rescue a PC

Scott Newell newell at cei.net
Mon Feb 15 11:56:13 CST 2010

Where do you think the best bang for the buck is right now?  I'm needing to
step up from my ancient dual P3-450 box to something a little faster and XP
capable.  It appears I can get an old P4 2.something, 1GB, XP COA, and a
small drive for ~$100 shipped.  (For instance,
http://www.surpluscomputers.com/348987/dell-gx-p4-2.2ghz-tower.html).

I don't have a good feel for current used pricing...is this on the high
side?  Would I be better off spending $200 for something more modern?  (I
probably should spend $1k and build up something nice that will last me
another 9-10 years, but I'm just not in the mood to do all the research
right now.)

Don't need much: one or two free PCI slots, a parallel port, one or two
serial ports, analog VGA.  Audio would be nice.  Fairly quiet, too.
(Nothing like an Octane!)

If anyone has anything suitable they're looking to get rid of, let me know.
 I'm in the southern US.

thanks!
newell