[rescue] 50 pin high density SCSI hard drives?

Ethan O'Toole ethan at 757tech.net
Thu Feb 11 14:00:45 CST 2010

> Wouldn't the external Sun disk packs work?  Maybe some odd cabling
> would be needed.
> --Patrick

Heh. The VME chassis is in a drawer with all of the scsi cables fed up
into 6 other drawers, each that holds 4 drives.

It's 50 pin IDC ribbon on the edge of the VME cards. It'd be possible to
replace it all, but it'd be a bit of a mess.

They moved from VME chassis to this gigaring thing at some point. Wish I
could find the boards for the thing and the gigaring box, but stuff ain't
common.

This is the VME box:
(Pic of a different system, but you get the idea)
http://users.757.org/~ethan/pics/geek/computer_stuff/cray_forsale3/left_IOS_drawer.jpg

I was thinking I could keep it somewhat stock looking and just drop 3.5"
drives in there.

Perhaps 24 of those 50 pin to 68 pin adaptors would work.

--
: FLICKR   http://www.flickr.com/photos/ethanotoole :