[rescue] Tektronix 4010/4014 terminal printer project

Richard legalize at xmission.com
Tue Dec 28 21:20:33 CST 2010

OK, I've been studying the circuit diagrams and service manuals for
the Tektronix 4014 printer interface:

<http://bitsavers.org/pdf/tektronix/401x/070-2303-00_4014_4015_Service_Mar79.pdf>
<http://bitsavers.org/pdf/tektronix/463x/070-1831-02_4631_Service_Nov79.pdf>

I'm starting a project to create a modern printer interface for the
terminal.  This involves creating the optional target signal amplifier
board for the 4010/4014 and creating a microcontroller based board
that will drive the terminal like a 4631 printer and scan out the
image from the storage tube for digitizing as a digital image.  The
amplifier board is what distinguishes a 4010/4014 from a 4010/4014-1
and provides the signals for the printer.

The original 4631 printer is a completely analog device that scans out
the storage tube and transfers the electrical signal to a dry silver
paper for printing.  This design will treat the analog signal supplied
to the printer as a signal for digitizing into a raster image.  I plan
on housing mine inside a 4632 video hardcopy shell with a modern printer
inside driven by the controller.  Who knows, this project might make
those 4631/4632 printers useful again, considering that noone is going
to be getting a new supply of dry silver paper anytime soon.

I'm looking for other people that have hardware design experience to
join me on this project.  All resulting EDA files will be made
available under a suitable open source style license.

Please reply to me off-list if you are interested in collaborating
with me on this project.